6.10.2011

You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone, or Arizona Stinks Without Air Conditioning

When I woke up Wednesday morning, it was humid. In the house.

Weird.

And I was sweating. In the house. And I wasn't exercising.

Weird.

Yeah, the air conditioning BROKE. In June. In PHOENIX.

I don't know the temperatures where you are at, but here? In June? An oven like quality exists.

And I made it through the day with minimal complaining. Because really, what can you do? When people speak of the day and my calm behavior they will use hushed tones usually reserved for churches and libraries. They will speak of me in awe, because I handled it like a champ. With a frappe in the right hand. Because that was my Wednesday birthday surprise.

I waited for Jeremiah to get home and call a couple different people. A former co-worker who now runs the family AC company said he could make it out on Thursday at six in the morning. All we had to do was make it through the night.

I honestly don't think I've ever been so hot in my whole life. At one point Jeremiah left to sleep downstairs. I tried to stretch out and lay flat so that the fan could hit as much of me as possible. Didn't work. I thought about getting an ice pack from the freezer, but I couldn't muster the energy. Plus Mel was sleeping on my legs. And Atticus was sleeping next to me. So I just laid there. It was well over ninety degrees in our house.

The next morning the AC guys came and...wait for it, wait for it...

Charged us $60.00 for a broken thingamawhoozit. Sixty dollars TOTAL. How's that for an early birthday present?!

Enjoy your air-conditioning splendor, everyone. Take a moment out of your day to thank your air conditioner. After all, you don't know what you got till it's gone.

2 comments:

Jeremiah said...

Hot, Hot, Hot...that's what is was. I'm glad it's over.

Cait @ Hernando House said...

OMG. I would have died. I thought it was bad when our heater went out and it was below freezing. But at least we could layer up and force the dogs to keep us warm.

Glad it was a cheap fix, though! And happy birthday, again!