3.09.2011

Litter Boxes on the Hillside...

You may have figured out that I named kitty Mel (or Mal). It's short for Malvina Reynolds, who was a folk-singer. Anyway, Mel is quite the character. She is intimidated by NOTHING. She and Atticus have quite the game of tag going on. I hope it's tag and not attacks. I don't see puffy cat tail but instead some waggy dog tail, so I think I'm okay.

She's super curious and this picture was taken while she was watching fingers. She loves to chase fingers. And this is her favorite spot in the house. The landing on the stairs.
Her idea of a good time is playing constantly. And eating. And making a mess of her litterbox. I honestly have never seen a messier cat and I've lived with cats my entire life.  I've tried three boxes and she still flings litter out like it's going out of style. It doesn't help that she plays in it when it's clean.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mel spends most of her time upstairs but will occasionally grace us with her presence downstairs.
She is the first cat that I've ever had that sleeps at night and is up during the day. The second that Jer and I are both in bed (she follows me around until I get in bed), she hops up. And she doesn't move all night, even if she accidentally gets kicked by a foot or stepped on by a dog. She stays. When we get up, she gets up. So weird. I've read that it might be because of her eyes. Apparently the blue eyes lack the necessary whatever that helps cats see at night. Who knew?
And you might be wondering where she got her name. Or maybe not, but I'm going to share anyway. The theme song to Weeds is by Malvina Reynolds. Here are the lyrics:

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same,
Theres a pink one & a green one
And a blue one & a yellow one
And they are all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same
And theres doctors & lawyers
And business executives
And they are all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
Where they´re put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry & raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same,
Theres a pink one & a green one
And a blue one & a yellow one
And they are all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.



And then, if you are into it, check out the intro with Death Cab for Cutie singing it. That's my neighborhood. Just not nearly as fancy pants.
Death Cab for Cutie intro on Weeds

I love the song and critical view of the middle/upper class desire to have the same things as everyone else. Because seriously, in our neighborhood (in this city, really), it is about keeping up with the Jones'. I don't even know the Jones'.  I don't care about them. But people buy houses, boats, and cars they can't afford. I know. Don't ask how I know, but I know.

I like my house, but I'm determined to make it different than every other house in our 'hood, even if on the outside they all look the same. Which is part of the reason I shop for one of a kinds at thrift shops. The other reason is because I don't have any money.  But seriously, the outside? Exactly the same. Take a look: Roofs? all the same. House color? All the same.

And that is how Mel got her name. It's my version of the fist pump, which I can't get behind. Because I don't want to.

p.s. I should add that Jeremiah thinks that she was either denied oxygen at some point or that she was dropped on her head. She doesn't have a lot of grace. Or smarts. I think he is just unfairly comparing her to Scout, who had brains, grace, and beauty. Full package. Mel was first in line for looks but I think a bunch of other kitties shortcut her when brains and equilibriums were being passed out. She's not dumb, but...she's not smart, either.

No comments: